If you’re a freelance model, or looking to get picked up by a mother agency, you will need to learn how to market yourself as a model. Before starting anything you must build a great portfolio. For recommendations on who to shoot with check out our recent blog, Toronto’s Best Photographers.
1. Get Social – You should register yourself on all the major social networks. This should include a minimum of Facebook (personal and model fan page – no you won’t look conceded), twitter and linkedin. How you present yourself on these networks is very important, keep these for modelling and clean images only.
2. Model Sites – There are a ton of free model sites which are a must to register for. Model Mayhem and One Model Place are usually the most popular.
3. Build A Blog – You need your own blog. Share anything! On set at shoots, behind the scenes at a fashion show even your modelling stories! Making a blog is fairly easy and if you get enough traffic you can make money from it as well. Our designer from Femme Fatale is starting a great program called Build A Blog School, check it out here http://www.buildablogschool.com.
4. Model Website – In addition to your blog you want your own professional website. If funds are limited you can build your own. Stay tuned as we will be posting a step by step guide on how to do it!
5. Business Cards – Get business cards made with your photos and contact info. Make sure you give them out at shoots, events or just out networking. Modelling can be a lot about who you know.
These are just the very basics you can utilize to get started on marketing yourself as a model today. Until the next blog!